The Alaska SPCA is an advocate for animals throughout Alaska. It was founded with the belief that animals, as living creatures are entitled to basic rights relating to their care, treatment, and protection. We also believe that pets are a member of a family and in offering affordable care, we are providing a means to keep pets with their families. Our Mission is to reduce the suffering of Alaska’s companion animals.
The Alaska SPCA Staff Veterinarian, in conjunction with the Executive Director, is responsible for implementing and maintaining the standards of animal care throughout the veterinary clinic, and adoption center. This dynamic position is a unique opportunity to provide general wellness and diagnostic veterinary care including digital and dental radiology, spay/neuter services and elective procedures. As Alaska’s only 501c3 non-profit veterinary clinic, our staff Veterinarian may also participate in rural and community outreach clinics throughout the state of Alaska – providing spay/neuter services, vaccination and wellness care. T
he Staff Veterinarian is a full-time, exempt, permanent, year-round position. Veterinarians must be capable of managing a range of medical options for clients with a wide range of financial means. Full time positions include medical insurance benefits, PTO, salary commensurate with experience, paid rural/community outreach opportunities, and paid CE. The applicant must either have or be able to obtain an Alaska Veterinary license and a current DEA license.
• Regularly performs surgical procedures including, but not limited to, ovario-hysterectomy, orchiectomy/castration, soft-tissue surgeries, dental extractions, limited orthopedic and ocular procedures.
• Regularly performs veterinary health care functions, including examination and treatment of sheltered animals and client animals.
• Accountable for all health-related aspects of care for sheltered animals and client animals, including but not limited to, disease prevention programs, routine health care, vaccinations, testing and treatments.
• Ensures that appropriate medication is administered by veterinary staff within clinical and statutory requirements, and supervises the use and security of controlled drugs.
• Collaborates with the Executive Director on the performance and quality of services and duties related to practices of veterinary medicine and care of animals in the clinic and adoption center.
• Collaborates with the Adoption Center Manager to conduct functional analyses of health care, surgery, dietary, and sanitation programs for the adoption center.
• Be dedicated to the organization’s Mission, Vision and Values.
• Responsible for the development and implementation of goals, policies, and procedures related to the veterinary practices of the spay/neuter facilities, veterinary clinic, and shelters.
• Ensures decisions, agency policies, and procedures are effectively communicated and adhered to.
• Maintain medical record and drug use logs to standards of veterinary and sheltering practices, ensuring that records are complete, accurate and compliant.
• Ensures that Standard Operating Procedures related to the veterinary medical care of animals and sanitation are updated, current and utilized in adherence to established standards.
• Actively participates in the professional community to maintain current knowledge and relationships and support the mission of Alaska SPCA.
Additional Salary Information: The Staff Veterinarian is a full-time, exempt, permanent, year-round position. Veterinarians must be capable of
managing a range of medical options for clients with a wide range of financial means. Full time positions include
medical insurance benefits, PTO, salary commensurate with experience, paid rural/community outreach
opportunities, and paid CE. The applicant must either have or be able to obtain an Alaska Veterinary license and
a current DEA license.
About Alaska SPCA
The Alaska SPCA is a 501c3 non-profit veterinary clinic, adoption center, and mobile veterinary outreach program. We offer low-cost spay/neuter, vaccination, wellness and diagnostic services -- including digital radiology, dental services, in-house and send out labwork, and more.