Join The Winning Team…Team SoBran - We are an industry leader in designing professional animal care programs, managing animal facilities, and providing high quality technical support for laboratory animal research projects. At SoBran, we care about people. SoBran's success hinges on our employees. We maintain a professional environment and ensure that our people have the tools and training to achieve; and opportunities for learning and advancement. Our employees' individual talents contribute to our success! We thank you for your interest in SoBran.
We are currently seeking a Program Support Specialist Technician to serve at multiple locations in Bethesda, Poolesville and nearby Rockville Maryland.
OVERVIEW: Responsible for assisting with all activities required for supporting / maintaining animal colonies and relative procedures in relation to the clinical efforts of the NIAID Comparative Medicine Branch as directed by the NIAID/DIR animal study proposals.
Description of Duties:
Perform duties of a technician, animal caretaker or cage wash technician as dictated by the needs of the institution’s statement of work and standard operating procedures (SOPs) for new or current position openings.
- Predominantly a technician position but must have the ability and desire to perform duties in support of all lab animal species ie. rodents, rabbits, ferrets, etc. to include husbandry aspects.
- Perform daily animal health surveillance checks and report any abnormal conditions of either the animals or the animal room environment to the appropriate individual.
- Prepare and submit required written records, charts, logs, and inventories in a timely manner.
- Administer prescribed treatments to research animals.
- Possess the ability to perform technical duties associated with the NIAID Animal Study Proposals; especially those in relation to NHP Critical Care studies to include but not limited to collection of physiologic data, blood withdrawals, knowledge of aseptic techniques for surgical preparation, anesthesia induction, maintenance and monitoring, set up and operation of mechanical ventilators and anesthesia equipment and all other related critical care monitoring equipment.
- Provide assistance as needed with technical duties associated with the NIAID Animal Study Proposals in relation to NHP retroviral, human respiratory and flavivirus studies to include but not limited to daily animal health checks, blood withdrawals, anesthesia, intestinal biopsies, broncho-aveolar lavage, tracheal and nasal lavages, necropsies, documented observations and treatments. In addition for all lab animal species and animal study proposals: a) Read and understand technical requirements stated in Animal Study Protocols and discern discrepancies between technical requests and ASP’s. b) Perform or assist investigators with technical procedures, these include but are not limited to immunizations, bleeding of experimental animals, harvesting tissues or organs using aseptic techniques, peritoneal lavages, cell counts, food or liquid consumption studies, and splenectomies.
- Maintain detailed and accurate animal health records for all experimental data and related information e.g. ability to calculate maximum blood volume withdrawal based on body weight.
- Practice universal precautions appropriate to different levels of ABSL. Work safely with animal / human pathogen biohazards, and help to maintain the research animal facility as a safe work environment / operation.
- Report any animal health, care, and / or wellbeing concerns to the appropriate facility management staff.
- Report any facility infrastructure issues, relative to the animal care and support areas, to the appropriate facility management.
- Ability to work flexible hours to include weekends, holidays and overnights to ensure research needs are met and experiments are carried out to comply with appropriate timelines.
- Ability to handle changing work locations in short to long term increments.
- Ability to travel locally and outside the immediate Northern Virginia/Maryland area if needed, to include the use of personal transportation.
- Ability to interact with all personnel in a manner which promotes a professional work environment.
- All other duties as assigned by management.