Oakwood Animal Hospital in Kalamazoo, MI seeks an experienced Veterinary Hospital Manager to join our caring and compassionate team!
We truly are a full service small animal practice addressing the needs of pets through routine preventative care, surgical intervention and after hour’s emergency care. Our staff practice all aspects of primary care veterinary medicine. Our doctors are detail oriented and anxious to provide the best possible care in a collaborating environment.
More information at http://www.oakwoodvet.com
ABOUT THE HOSPITAL
- Modern facility with an upcoming remodel!
- In-house laboratory that includes a Vet Scan and Vet Test, technician read urinalysis and sediments, PCV, and extensive cytology work done by our experienced, capable licensed technicians.
- New X-Ray with floating table.
- Digital dental x-ray system.
- Ultrasound Unit (new last year; GE LogiQ PS Vet with cardiac probe and presets).
- Isoflourane anesthesia (with a licensed technician continuously monitoring patient).
- Extensive in-house pharmacy.
- Avimark computer system with unlimited tech support.
- Our doctors are on-call after hours for client only emergencies (rotating schedule).
- Excellent support staff with at least 2 licensed veterinary technicians scheduled per day.
Kalamazoo is progressive and diverse. Western Michigan University and Kalamazoo College both lend a vibrancy and cultural awareness to the community. Economically foundational businesses like Stryker, Pfizer and Zoetis keep the city financially stable. Kalamazoo offers outstanding educational scholarships for all children attending public school in the community. The Kalamazoo Promise https://www.kalamazoopromise.com provides free or highly subsidized tuition to many Michigan colleges and universities. Kalamazoo and the surrounding area offers virtually unlimited outdoor and cultural activities. From lakes and trails to Art Fairs and theatre the selection is limited only by desire. At the end of any activity a variety of traditional American and various ethnic restaurants provide opportunity to wind down with the dish of your choice. Kalamazoo offers the diversity and opportunity of a city like Chicago but with a smaller town atmosphere. Kalamazoo is the community to be a part of in Southwest Michigan.
The Hospital Manager is a leader and an integral member of the veterinary hospital management team. The Hospital Manager partners with the Managing Veterinarian to provide a smooth and profitable operation by driving revenue and managing costs while creating a hospital culture based on high quality patient care and exceptional customer service. Responsibilities include managing, planning, and coordinating the overall operations of the hospital, and cultivating a supportive and collaborative team environment.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
Leadership and Planning
- Acts as a champion for change and identifies, documents, shares, and promotes best practices.
- Participates in the planning and budget maintenance process.
- Establishes goals for the practice and staff.
- Creates the hospital schedule and manages labor costs to budget.
- Oversees employee benefits program and hospital insurance plans.
- Develops and implements hospital policy, including DEA/Controlled Substances and OSHA compliance.
- Performs quality checks and reviews of client files.
- Monitors computer systems and works with HelpDesk to resolve technical systems/equipment issues.
- Partners with the Managing Veterinarian to address staffing needs including hiring, training, reviewing, and disciplining of staff.
- Implements performance-based incentive and rewards and recognition programs.
- Manages staff, including grooming and boarding staff if applicable.
- Tracks and maintains current licensure for all DVMs.
- Demonstrates and reinforces the highest level of client service
- Resolves client issues and escalations, and oversees client follow-up communication.
- Drives client visits through strategic client communication and local marketing efforts (i.e. Community).
- Ensures payroll is accurately completed and submitted for all hospital staff.
- Manages accounts receivable and cash on hand, including performing invoice audit reviews.
- Manages hospital inventory and controls facility and administrative costs.
- Performs other duties essential to the performance of the hospital as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in business or related degree is preferred.
- Experience in a hospital setting in positions of increased responsibility is a plus.
- At least 1 year Veterinary practice management experience required.
Knowledge and/or experience in the following areas:
- Multi-functional operations including budget and labor management.
- Manage time and tasks appropriately and remain flexible with assigned duties.
- Supervisory and leadership experience.
- Reporting and data analysis.
- Problem solving and resolution management skills.
- Oral and written communication skills.
- Basic computer skills i.e. Microsoft Office suite (Previous practice management software knowledge preferred).
- Interpersonal skills with staff and clients, and works well in a team environment.
- Customer service strategies and effective marketing techniques.
- HR policies and protocol development.
- Staff management including: coaching, developing, and motivating staff
- Conduct performance appraisals.
- Delegate responsibility and achieve results with hospital team members.
- Make decisions confidently and effectively.
- Model a professional and courteous manner with staff and clients.
Equal Employment Opportunity
It is the policy of the company to afford equal opportunities to all applicants and employees regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, non-disqualifying disability or status as a disabled or Vietnam era veteran.