SoBran is seeking a Veterinary Technician I to serve at the National Institutes of Health in Poolesville, Maryland (LARC 8).
OVERVIEW: Responsibilities of this position are that of a Veterinary Technician I for SoBran’s animal care contracts. This is a general summary of the responsibilities associated with the position of Veterinary Technician I for the NIH, National Institute on Aging (NIA). This description is not inclusive of all duties required to successfully complete the job each day. It is intended to reflect SoBran’s contractual obligations to the LARC. Employees are expected to complete all assigned duties each day.
Primary duties may include the following (non-inclusive list):
1. Understand and follow all ASPs, SOPs, and Quality Assurance Standards
2. Daily preparation and distribution of animal diet, enrichment, clinical treatments, and documentation
a. Prepare and distribute AM & PM feed and daily enrichment
b. Perform daily health checks
c. Prepare and administer clinical treatments as directed (topical, PO, IM, SQ, IV, ID)
3. Calculate drug dosages and administration frequencies
4. Maintain accurate electronic animal medical records and complete treatment updates
5. Identify and communicate signs of abnormal health and behavior
6. Responsible for cleaning and sanitization of procedure areas and carts
7. Maintain accurate sanitation records, room logs, and appropriate lab documentation.
8. Understand and apply basic animal behavior training techniques
9. Collect and record physiological and study data, as directed
10. Safely and correctly handle and restrain animals for observation and procedures
11. Assist the veterinary and research staff with surgical preparations, examinations, and technical procedures.
12. Alert veterinary and research staff about emergencies or other animal related problems
13. Collect, preserve, and prepare blood, urine, stool, and various tissue samples
14. Assist with necropsies
15. Assist with freezer organization and sample cataloguing
16. Participate in all required trainings
17. Perform miscellaneous duties as assigned by your supervisor