Mt. Vernon Veterinary Clinic
Mt. Vernon, TX 75457
Associate Small/Mixed Animal Veterinarian In Beautiful Northeast Texas
The purpose of this position is to put in place a small animal veterinarian who may have 1-2 years of clinical experience or be a new graduate with lots of hands on experience and confidence. He/she will be able to work effectively with the staff, communicate well with clients, and be committed to practicing the highest standards of veterinary medicine.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manage daily clinic logistics
- Examine animals to detect and determine the nature of disease or injury.
- Treat sick or injured animals by prescribing medication, setting bones, dressing wounds, etc.
- Inoculate animals against various diseases
- Collect specimens such as tissue, feces, blood, urine, or other body fluids for examination and analysis.
- Assist with management clinic staff and scheduling
- Perform laboratory procedures and diagnostic tests, including parasitology, hematology, and other procedures as appropriate.
- Operate diagnostic equipment such as IDEXX lab and digital X-Ray and review findings with clients to support treatment regimen.
- Answer client questions and provide education on various aspects of animal care and maintenance.
- Call back/follow-up with clients; recommend medical progress visits as appropriate.
- Document actions by completing forms, reports, logs and patient records.
- Train and supervise team members who handle and care for the animals.
- Deal with clients and employees in a manner that shows sensitivity, tact, and professionalism.
- Participate in business development as agreed upon with management/owner.
- Conduct weekly staff meetings (Wednesday’s 1-2pm)
- Perform other duties as assigned.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE:
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each primary duty with the knowledge, skill, and ability required.
- Valid and in good standing licensed veterinarian. Review criteria for TX licensure.
- Have current DEA registration.
- Knowledge of principles, theories and practice of veterinary medicine and science.
- Ability to write reports, correspondence and medical records that meet basic professional standards.
- Ability to perform veterinary surgery (Spay/neuter) in a safe, accurate, and healthy manner.
- Medicine and Dentistry-knowledge of the information and techniques needed to perform basic dental scaling/polishing procedures.
- Mathematics--Knowledge of arithmetic and basic dose calculations.
- Chemistry—Knowledge of chemical composition and compound structure with regard to potential drug interactions.
- Must have active listening, critical thinking, complex problem solving, and time management skills.
- Verbal Communication-Ability to talk to others and convey information effectively.
- Strong computer skills—Ability to order supplies on line and enter data at multiple points in the clinic.
- Commitment to practicing the highest standards of medicine.
- Commitment to the mission of Mt. Vernon Veterinary Clinic.